recipes * memories * tips * photos * trips
VERSION / VERSÃO
10 / 18 / 2015
An Easy and Perfect Appetizer
Only girls! My mum, my older sister and I took a flight to Punta Del Leste to recover our energy in a little village called Manantiales. It is an extremely peaceful and picturesque place. We always went to different restaurants, markets and bookshops to discover new dishes. So, one night we went to a charming restaurant called El Almacen and we ate purple onion chutney with Brie and fresh little homemade bread for an appetizer. Well, I can’t even tell you how absolutely tasty this combination was. This is a fantastic option to impress your guests or only your partner!
Purple Onion Chutney
Total time: 50-60 minutes Serves: 6-8 people
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 purple onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 fresh red chilly without seeds, chopped
- fresh thyme sprigs
1. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion and grill until soft;
2. Next, add all ingredients and bring to cook. Once it is all incorporated, lower the heat and cook until it starts to thicken. The result is it becomes almost like a jam;
3. You can place the chutney into sterilized jars and keep in a cool dark place or in the fridge and use right away.
TIPS: This amazing sweet and a bit spicy chutney is perfect to eat with cheese. In my opinion, the best partner for this chutney is creamy cheese like Brie. You can buy only small triangles or if you have many guests, you should buy a whole piece of Brie, such as in my case, because my husband eats a lot! Place the onions in pots or over the Brie and put some thyme sprigs. It is a delight to mix cheese, onion, and thyme, of course, with Italian bread! Well, I live in Campinas-SP (Brazil) and I always buy some Italian baguettes in a bakery shop called Sacramento. Obviously, I share this opinion with the good restaurants in town, who order the Italian bread from them too. Another good tip is to buy the Australian bread at Sacramento, but you should be careful enough to buy fresh bread, because it makes all the difference in terms of softness. This bread is as delicious as that from OUTBACK!