recipes * memories * tips * photos * trips
DIAGNOSIS: YOUR DAUGHTER IS TOO LAZY TO EAT!
This was the diagnosis that my older sister was given when she was a child, and my mum had to use her imagination to get my sister to eat! If the truth were known, on second thoughts she has always been too lazy to eat! She eats like a sloth, so calm she is! Everyone had finished the meal and she would have eaten only half of the food, maybe this is the secret of her slimness! My mum says that she licks the food! In fact, this a good point when you eat slowly, but in her case she eats both very slowly and very little...So, my mum was advised to make more tempting dishes and snacks to appeal to my sister. Because of this, my mum had to improve her cooking skills and she was able to experiment and create delicious dishes. So much so, her friends have constantly been witnesses of her culinary audacity... My “crazy mum” even made liquor candies (it’s such a tricky recipe to make!), with three small girls to look after! Not to mention the countless cooking classes that she took...It was in the culinary world that my mum met Mrs. Maria Elisa Focesi who taught her a lot of delicious dishes. One of them is a wonderful flaky cheese pastry, whose sweet version is also tasty! So, when I make it I divide the dough and with half of it I use only fresh cheese and with the other part fresh cheese and goiabada! You can do it with your eyes closed, and it will be so light and fluffy! It is so good that my sister always gave bigger licks to this flaky cheese pastry! YUMMY...
FLAKY PASTRY CHEESE
Total time: 2 1/2 - 3 hours Makes: about 70 pastries
For flaky pastry:
- 800 grams plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup granulated or refined sugar, sifted (100 grams)
- fresh yeast (30 grams)
- 2 level tablespoons salt (20 grams)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, plus 1 egg to glaze
- 100 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100 grams grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh slices cheese (800 grams)
1. Make Sponge: In a large mixing bowl, dissolve fresh yeast with a fork. Then add 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 cup warm water and 1 cup flour. Mix well and let stand for 30 minutes to turn into a sponge. You will see that the mixture will increase in size and get bobbly;
2. Then add eggs, salt and the remaining quantity of water, sugar and flour to reach the dough point;
3. When the dough has come together as a loose lump, tip it onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth and soft;
4. Make a very small ball with a piece of dough and put in a glass of water. So, when the ball goes up the dough will be ready to be worked;
5. First, roll out the dough with a rolling pin or a bottle. Second, spread butter (at room temperature) on it. Third, sprinkle it with parmesan cheese;
6. After that, on a lightly floured surface, roll it out again and these previous steps should be repeated one time;
7. Roll out the dough one more time and cut it into even strips. Next, put the fresh cheese on half of the dough strip and fold the other half on top of the cheese. You should do this with the whole dough. Finally, brush the top of the flaky pastry with a beaten egg wash and sprinkle the top with parmesan. Then, with a sharp knife, cut diagonally into three-finger thick slices;
8. Put the dough slices on grased baking trays, leaving a space in between for them to expand. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown in a pre-heated oven to 200°C/392°F. Cool on a wire rack. Eat at room temperature or slightly warm.
07/ 24/ 2015